Create a Custom SharePoint List View
SharePoint® lets you create multiple views for the same app (list or library). Let’s take a look at how easy it is to create a custom view for a document library.
- Click the GEAR icon in the top-right of your screen
- Select “Site Contents”
- In the list of apps, select the document library you want to use to create a custom view.
- On the library page look for a link that says “All Items” and click the three dots next to it “…”
- In the menu that appears, click “Create View” (You can modify a view too, but we’ll create one)
- Select “Standard View”
- Enter “Only Filename” in the name field.
- Check the box for “Public view”
On that screen, there’s criteria below that you can apply to your list. Here are the options:
You can select which columns, and in what order you want them to appear
Determine what column, and in what direction you want documents sorted, you can also setup multiple criteria here
You can filter documents to only display documents that fit the criteria
- Tabular View
This option gives users the option to select multiple files with check boxes.
- Group By
Similar to filter, except all documents are shown in a “Tree view” by certain columns
This will allow you to select a mathematical operation on columns, such as sum, average, and count
You can specify the way the library appears on the page.
This one is pretty cool, you can choose to display folders, or show all files within folders in a giant list.
- Item Limit
You can set an limit here to only display a certain number of items
You can set options for using this view with mobile devices here
We’ll use the columns group for this example.
- Under columns, uncheck all options except for
- Type (icon)
- Change name’s dropdown value to 1
- Type will change automatically to 2
Click “OK” at the bottom of the page and you’ll be taken back to the library, and you’ll notice the new view has been applied.
You can switch back to “All Documents” by clicking on the link. Each view also has its own web address, so you can send an email with the URL to that view and others can go directly to it. They can also switch between them as well.
Take a look at the video for more details on creating views.